BIRD CAGE REPAIR

Perfromance and Technical discussions about C3 Corvettes

BIRD CAGE REPAIR

Postby 74vetterestoman » Nov 18th, 2009 3:09 pm

HEY TIM,WERE IN ANY OF THOSE REPAIR MANUALS DID YOU FIND THE INFO. ON TAKING THE FIBERGLASS FIRE WALL OUT AND REPAIR OF THE BIRD CAGE? I HAVE THE SERVICE MANUAL FOR THE 74 VETTE I HAVE BUT IT DOES NOT SHOW ANYTHING LIKE THIS NEITHER DOES THE ASSMEMBLEY MANUAL. ANY HELP IN LOCATING THIS INFO WOULD HELP ME OUT AS I REALLY DO NOT WANT TO JUST START TEARING INTO IT. YOU HAVE A GREAT SITE,WHISH I WAS AS FAR ALONG AS YOU.ARE YOU THE ONLY ONE WORKING ON THIS VETTE,HOW MANY DAYS A WEEK AND HOURS WOULD YOU SAY YOU HAVE PUT INTO IT SINCE YOU STARTED.I HAVE JUST MYSELF AND IT IS VERY TIME CONSUMMING,BUT I DREAM OF HAVING MY CAR DRIVEABLE IN THE FUTURE.
74vetterestoman
Progress to next rank:
13.3%

BIRD CAGE REPAIR

Site Sponsor

Re: BIRD CAGE REPAIR

Postby MaineVette » Nov 18th, 2009 11:06 pm

Hi, and welcome to the forum!

I'm not aware of any manuals the describe the process of removing the front clip and the firewall, the scope of that work is pretty much beyond the scope of typcial repair manuals. When I removed mine I primarily referenced the Assembly Instruction Manual. Although not specific to disassembly, it shows how all of the panels are attached an bonded together. Once you know this information you can then remove those points of connection/attachment to allow each component to be removed. Just take your time, study the car, and make sure you understand how everything is put together before getting started.

I've been working on my project for over 4 years now and have over 700 hours into the project so far (and an equal amount invested in researching and planning the work). It's been a slow process at times, and I work on it when I feel like it. I could push myself harder, but I don't want to turn my project into a "chore" or a "second job". When I first started life was a bit less hectic for me so I was able to put in a good 10-20 hours a week on weekends. Now I'm lucky to get 6-8 hours in a week.

Regardless, I continue to plug away and each week brings me one step closer.

Good luck with your project, and feel free to post as you move forward with your project! :thumbs:
Someday I'll finally be able to drive my Vette, but for now I'll just admire all the pieces... :willy:

Track my progress at The Corvette Restoration Page http://www.corvette-restoration.com
MaineVette
Administrator
Administrator

Return to C3 Technical & Performance