'65 Coupe Resto-Mod and '68 Full Custom Restoration

General discussion about C3 Corvettes
rbryce1
Corvette Addict
Corvette Addict
Tell us about your Corvette: 1995 Targa Top Coupe, Stock 350/300 hp LT1 Automatic
1968 Full Custom Corvette Convertible, 454/425 hp, Turbo-Hydromatic 400 Transmission with shift kit and stall converter. 1965 High Performance Resto-Mod Coupe, 350 LT-1/390 hp Kiesler 5-Speed

Re: '65 Coupe Resto-Mod and '68 Full Custom Restoration

Post by rbryce1 » Jun 19th, 2017 1:58 pm

I started back on fitting up the new windshield moldings.

The molding clips were not playing well, as they were rotating and not fitting tight, so I needed to again remove the windshield to get access to the screws holding them in place.

This time, the crack in the windshield gave up the ghost! :ack:

Instead of having a windshield with a crack in the center from top to bottom, I now have a two piece windshield with the laminate layer acting like a hinge. :bang: :bang: :bang:

Once the windshield was out and the clips were securely fastened, I installed the trim.

They are typically a real bear to install. The best ones do not fit the curve of the lower windshield and need to be "Bent" to the correct shape, hopefully without putting any kinks in the moldings. :mad:

This is the top piece.

Here is a photo of the process, the first placing the trim in place, and how it usually fits, the second after bending it to fit.

Once the upper and the 2 lower pieces are installed, a small corner piece covers the connection at the top on each side.

If you need to bend the curve sections to make them fit (and you always need to with new moldings), they are too stiff to bend without cutting reliefs in the ribs. You need to take a die cutting wheel and make slots in the rib that locks into the clips. This gives the molding just enough play to allow it to be bent a little further. If you go too deep with the cut, it will fold like a piece of cardboard.

Since this is a $160.00 piece of stainless steel, you really don't want to blow it. :willy:

Fortunately, I was able to get both of the two lower moldings in place without destroying them. I will let them sit for a few days, remove them and see if they go back in place without problem, or try to spring back out of shape a little, which will mean bending them a little more.

The goal is to not have to push on them in any way but down to install them. You also need to make sure there is enough of a gap between the trim and the windshield gasket for the trim to be able to be installed, but not too much of a gap or you will see the inside of the moldings, which is why it is so difficult to judge with the windshield out. I taped the gasket in place to help judge this distance, but the test will be after the car is painted and the windshield is installed. You cannot adjust the clips with the windshield installed.

Truly the most bull crap method I have ever seen to install moldings. The engineer who designed this should have been tarred and feathered. Maybe he was!